History of Osprey House Area

The area in the vicinity of Osprey House has a long and colourful history. There is evidence that Aborigines used this region for many thousands of years. Dohles Rocks, on the bend of the river downstream of Osprey House, was a perfect place for Aboriginal groups to camp, fish, gather other seafood, and to use as a lookout across the river. The location of several 'bora' rings not far from here, suggests that this was close to the boundary between the Yugerra-speaking people and the Gubbi-speaking people.

The earliest Europeans to come here were probably the three ticket-of-leave convicts, Parsons, Pamphlett and Finnegan. In 1823, their boat was blown northwards from south of Sydney and they were stranded on Moreton Island. They crossed to the mainland and proceeded northwards along the coast past this locality.

Thomas PetrieWhen rescued later that year by John Oxley, Finnegan, directing Oxley to a 'large river' (the Brisbane), mistakenly let him to the Pine River. Oxley then named it the 'Deception' River. Oxley noted the 'fine cypresses' (Hoop Pines) at a place further upstream - now John Oxley Reserve.

The Europeans next to arrive in this part of Pine Rivers came in search of Red Cedar, a valuable timber. Later pioneers sought other timbers such as White Beech, Deep Yellowwood and Hoop Pine. Hardwoods for posts and poles and building construction were also required. Logs and sawn timber were rafted and ferried down the Pine River, bound for Brisbane.

Local early settlers who came to stay included graziers such as Captain Griffin of Whiteside and Tom Petrie of Murrumba.